Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ways to get rid of the flu.



Well, come to find out, the way to cure the Johnson family of the flu is to talk about not going to Stormy. By Friday evening everyone was healthy and Greg and I decided to go for the weekend and to leave at three in the morning. I packed up some things and went to bed to sleep for a while before we left. At some point, Greg came in the room and told me that it was three o'clock and time to get up. I lay there in bed looking at him wondering why in the world he felt it was necessary to tell me it was three in the morning until I remembered that he was telling me this because it was time to go to Stormy...on a side note, I was awoken the night before at 1.30 in the morning by Greg as he told me someone was pounding on our front door and I just kept muttering, "I know, I know!" Greg went to investigate and met "Mr. Repo Man" (name given by Greg). After a very confusing story with all of Greg's comments repeated by Mr. Repo Man it turns out that neither of us was named Wendy So and So, nor do we own a certain car Mr. Repo Man was looking for...when I first saw the tow truck through the window I wondered how the road side help could have gotten things so mixed up they sent the truck to the wrong place. But, then I realized it wasn't a tow truck offering help...but that's another story for a different post!

Back to Friday night--we quickly got both girls up from their beds, placed them in the car at which point they both decided to fully wake up and get excited about the trip. As we drove through the dark quiet streets of Downers Grove, Northern Illinois, and lower Wisconsin we hit every green light. Lily kept saying quietly in the back seat, "It's just so beautiful" as she looked out at the lit up city lights. Eventually we (the Johnson girls) all feel asleep and Greg drove in the darkened silence...until around 5.30 when Hannah Grace suddenly yelled out "Set, Go!" I think it about stopped Greg's heart! I don't know what Hannah Grace was thinking but she sounded a little fit to be tied! She quickly quieted back down.

We made it up to Stormy around 9.30 where Uncle Doug was waiting for us and quickly headed down to the lake! Here's a picture story of what we did over the weekend!

These two had a lot of fun...can you imagine them 10 years from now?! I pray they are still having this much fun together!

We had dinner one night at some friends cabin. They had some friends up visiting from Chicago who had just adopted a 5-year-old boy from China, who we'll just call Charlie. Charlie had only been with the family for a month, but seemed to be adapting really well to his family and the United States. He understood a lot of English but only spoke Chinese.

Now, you all know this girl....
There is nothing this girl loves more than another 5-year-old...English speaker or not! Well, she jumped right into the mix sharing the three Chinese words she has learned from watching Ni Hao Kai Lan, which amount to Hello, Thank You, and Grandpa. We also know how much she loves to demonstrate her knack for picking up foreign languages from animated kids shows. It was pretty funny watching the two look at each other, Lily throwing out a random "Grandpa" in Chinese, Charlie looking at her quizzically then launching into an animated dialogue in Chinese (and mind you nobody else there that night spoke Chinese) then the two of them nodding their heads in agreement and then chasing after each other! The evening ended with smores around a campfire. Hannah Grace had a fun time too. She spent the campfire trying to weasel her way into the laps of whoever had made the most recent smore!

And so, we came home Monday night, tired but having had a fun weekend. I was going to post about our weekend last night, but my new Bible study began last night and I was just a little too tired! I hope everyone else had a fun holiday weekend!

2 comments:

  1. The restoring waters of Stormy Lake. kind of like the Spas in Europe. We are loving the pictures and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these my granddaughters or what!!?? They are just precious!

    ReplyDelete