Saturday, August 22, 2009

Date Night

So, it's been about 24 hours and no comments yet...we'll see how much I'll have to say before I get a comment!

Tonight, Greg and I went to see this movie

Julie and Julia
We both really enjoyed it. Of course I want to move to France, buy a Le Creuset, and make a beef bourginoin (I know I'm spelling this wrong. The first time I typed it I wrote beef bargain)...but I'd like to do all of that back in the 1950's when life seemed a little more glamorous.

Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were fun to watch. I was less interested in Julie's character. I looked at her blog once a couple of months ago and was turned off by her writing, a lot of foul language. I had thought her book would be fun to read, but then after seeing her writing on her blog I decided not to read the book.

One of my favorite stories about the book Julie and Julia is that a woman we know from Hinsdale Covenant, her kids were in Greg's youth group, is a very big cook. She gave me my Cuisinart at my bridal shower and said all new wives need a Cuisinart in their kitchen. Anyway, she apparently loves Julia Child and wanted to read the book Julie and Julia but couldn't get past all of the language. So, she asked a friend of hers, who is in my book club, to read the book and mark out all of the bad language. Then she could read the book and not visually see the words she found offensive! I thought that was a good way to solve the problem. But, the best part was that after all of this happened, Julie Powell was on NPR being interviewed (I believe about the upcoming movie) and our friend called into the radio station and got on the air! She described to them how she had had a friend mark out all of the bad language in her copy of the book and asked Julie why she wrote the book in that manner. Apparently, Julie said something to the extent that this was just who she was and how she writes, but I thought good for our friend for speaking up about the writing style!

So, I enjoyed the movie, think I'll read Julia's book "My life in France" and now need to start a small savings account for that ever elusive Le Crueset dutch oven!

p.s. Greg told me that if I wanted to keep writing this blog and get a book/movie contract out of it he would be very supportive!

No comments:

Post a Comment