Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stormy Lake

So, I have finished about 3 loads of laundry and have about 3 more to do...but I decided to put up a post about our trip to Stormy in celebration of Columbus. We actually don't celebrate him up at Stormy, but we certainly enjoy the extra day off of school we receive because he found these great lands of ours...although I guess he just found the one great land...

We left Friday afternoon and drove up with Uncle Doug--boys in front, girls in the back seat! We arrived sometime after midnight and quickly put the girls in their beds only to awake to this...snow at Stormy Lake in October! After Lily's excitement wore down and I reflected on the beauty of it all a little song ran through my head. It's one you might remember from West Side Story...the one where Maria enjoys being a girl. On any given day I can list many many reasons why I enjoy being a girl, but on this particular morning there was really only one reason I was enjoying my girlishness...girls (at least at this point in time) don't have to take the boats, dock, and boat landings out of Stormy Lake during an early Fall snowfall!

Lily contemplating where she should throw that snowball.

Hannah Grace doing her most favorite activity at Stormy-
throwing rocks into the Lake.
Wearing the required pretty purse, which I believe was holding a hair bow!

Lily beginning to freeze.

As boats were brought out of the lake and docks were set up on the shore I noticed Greg had taken Lily down to the shore and they were taking down and folding the American flag. I raced down with the camera, but missed a shot of them folding the flag together. I took a couple of them as they carried the flag back up the stairs.

As I got nearer, I heard Greg teaching Lily about the respectful behavior we have toward the American Flag, not letting it touch the ground and what we do when a Flag is old and needs to be replaced. At this point I interrupted Greg and asked them to stop and pose for a picture...
As soon as this picture was taken, Lily turned over her shoulder and said; "You were saying, Dad?" And, Greg continued explaining how we treat our flag.

This little one below turned 2 and from the look on her face we are only assured of some good times to come! Lily and I made cupcakes and Hannah Grace opened her presents and blew her candles out all by herself right at the end of Happy Birthday! Somehow I took no pictures of this event on my camera! But, rest assured we had a good party! She has also found and enjoys her pockets!


Sunday was sunny with no snow, but cold so lots of arts and crafts and indoor playing with Uncle Doug.
And then Monday it was time to go back home and we left Stormy, shut up for the winter, at noon looking like this....

And now, I'll leave you with some pictures of our ride home

Who says 8 hour car trips through snow with a 2 and 6-year-old can't be fun?!

2 comments:

  1. Wait, did ya'll forget Doug on the ride home??? Is he still pulling out the dock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wish we were up there, although taking out the dock and boats in the snow doesn't sound all that appealing! : ) Hope you guys are doing well. It's always great to run into you here and there.

    -Barbara

    ReplyDelete